Maria Klawe interview: Overview
Sections on this page (click icon at right to open/close list)
On a separate page: Selected quotes from this interview
Maria Klawe became the fifth president of Harvey Mudd College, a premier undergraduate engineering institution, in July 2006. Prior to that, she was Dean of Princeton University’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. She has previously held administrative and teaching positions at the University of British Columbia and was a high level manager of a discrete math group at IBM Research in Almaden, California. She is a strong advocate for women in computing and engineering.
Maria Klawe is a past president of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and was inducted as an ACM Fellow in 1996, with the citation “For outstanding technical, educational, and disciplinary leadership, and for significant contributions to theoretical computer science and to educational applications of computing technology.” Maria was the first woman to serve on the board of the Computing Research Association and co-founded CRA-W, the highly successful Committee on the Status of Women. Maria joined the Microsoft Board in March 2009.
At the time of this interview, Maria Klawe was Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Princeton University.
This section includes the audio and transcript of the interview with Maria Klawe, conducted on June 27, 2005 in Lisbon, Portugal by William Aspray.
Audio of interview [2 hours 40 minutes]
PDF of interview transcript
[43 pages, 1930 transcribed lines of text]
Other information about Maria Klawe
- Biographical sketch of Maria Klawe at Harvey Mudd College
- Microsoft News Center announcement about Maria Klawe
- Podcast interviews with Maria Klawe from the collection by Stephen Ibaraki
- Overview of the interviews
- A total of 8 podcasts between November 2005 and August 2012
- ACM Digital Library Author Profile Page for Maria Klawe
- DBLP publications list for Maria Klawe
- Wikipedia article about Maria Klawe
PDF index table (where do topics occur?)
Video clip: Why move from Princeton to Harvey Mudd?
- Recorded October 19, 2007
- About 1 minute; PDF transcript of video clip is located further down under the video
- This video clip is also available on CEOHP’s YouTube channel