Judith Bishop interview: Overview
On a separate page: Selected quotes from this interview
Judith Bishop has had a distinguished background in academia. She has published over 80 papers in areas ranging from programming languages to distributed and web-based systems. She authored one of the first Java programming texts, Java Gently, now in its third edition. She is a Founding Fellow of the South African Institute for Computer Scientists and Information Technologists and in 2005 was recognized as Distinguished Woman Scientist of the Year in South Africa. She is a Fellow of the British Computer Society and of the Royal Society of South Africa.
At the time of this interview in 2006, Dr. Bishop was Professor of Computer Science at the University of Pretoria, South Africa. She is now Director of Computer Science in External Research at Microsoft Research, based in Redmond, USA.
This section includes the audio and transcript of the interview with Judith Bishop, conducted on June 28, 2006 in Bologna, Italy by Barbara Boucher Owens.
Audio of interview [1 hour]
PDF interview transcript
[17 pages, 732 transcribed lines of text]
Other information about Judith Bishop
- Judith Bishop’s LinkedIn profile
- Judith Bishop’s professional webpage at Pretoria University (via the Wayback Machine)
- ACM Digital Library Author Profile Page for Judith Bishop
- DBLP publications list for Judith Bishop
- Google Scholar profile for Judith Bishop
Video clip: Advantages of keeping abreast of the latest technology
- Recorded June 2008
- About 1 minute; PDF transcript of video clip is located further down under the video
- This video clip is also available on CEOHP’s YouTube channel