Beth Simon interview: Overview
On a separate page: Selected quotes from this interview
Beth Simon is on the faculty of the Computer Science and Engineering Department at the University of California, San Diego, with the bizarrely titled position Lecturer with the Potential for Security of Employment. She is interested in the study of how people learn computer science. Beth’s computer science education research focuses on Tablet PCs in education, student’s preconceptions of computing topics, and debugging.
During 2007-2008, Beth took leave from UCSD and served as a Science Teaching and Learning Fellow in the Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative at the University of British Columbia. While there, she helped faculty to engage scientifically proven best practices for improving instructional practices.
This section includes the audio and transcript of the interview with Beth Simon, conducted on June 26, 2007 in Dundee, Scotland by Barbara Boucher Owens.
Audio of interview [about 50 minutes]
PDF interview transcript
[16 pages, 704 transcribed lines of text]
Other information about Beth Simon
- Beth Simon’s professional webpage at University of California, San Diego
- ACM Digital Library Author Profile for Beth Simon
- DBLP publications list for Beth Simon
Video clip: Truly active, interactive, very large classes
- About 32 seconds; PDF transcript of video clip is located further down under the video
- This video clip is also available on CEOHP’s YouTube channel