Andrea Lawrence interview: Overview
On a separate page: Selected quotes from this interview
Andrea Lawrence has been a faculty member at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia USA since 1983. She is active in a number of organizations established to support and encourage under-represented populations. She has served as President of the Association of Computer and Information Science/Engineering Departments at Minority Institutions (ADMI). Dr. Lawrence has mentored many students and is a strong proponent of students gaining experience with research projects. She has been director of two programs at Spelman, both funded by NASA, that are designed to increase the number of students gaining research experience as undergraduates, the Undergraduate Student Awards for Research Program (USAR,) and the Summer Science and Engineering Program (SSEP).
At the time of this interview, Andrea Lawrence was Department Chair of the Department of Computer Science at Spelman and Associate Professor of Computer Science in the same Department.
This section includes the audio and transcript of the interview with Andrea Lawrence, conducted on November 6, 2007 in Bellevue, Washington, USA by Barbara Boucher Owens.
Audio of interview [1 hour]
PDF interview transcript
[15 pages, 657 transcribed lines of text]
Links to other information about Andrea Lawrence
- Andrea Lawrence’s professional webpage at Spelman College
- Interview with Andrea Lawrence as part of The HistoryMakers project, a large collection of video oral histories with African Americans
- ACM Digital Library Author Profile Page for Andrea Lawrence
- DBLP publications list for Andrea Lawrence
- Wikipedia article about Andrea Lawrence
Video clip: Preconceptions: grad student, maid, secretary …
- Recorded June 2007
- About 1 minute 3 seconds; PDF transcript of video clip is located further down under the video
- This video clip is also available on CEOHP’s YouTube channel
Andrea Lawrence is featured as an interviewee in one of the training interviews.