Mats Daniels interview: Overview
On a separate page: Selected quotes from this interview
Mats Daniels is a computer science professor noted for his mentoring of Ph.D students through international collaborative research projects and the innovative use of international faculty as guest lecturers in computer courses at Uppsala University. A glance at his publication portfolio reveals his interest in both Computer Science Education Research and multi-national university collaborations.
Mats Daniels has been active in SIGCSE, the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education, since the early 1990s, serving in roles ranging from conference chair to location scout for the ITiCSE conferences. He has also been a driving force in a variety of Nordic computing education workshops, including with the IEEE Nordic Education Society Chapter.
At the time of this interview (2011), Mats Daniels was Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Information Technology at Uppsala University and had recently earned his doctorate in computer science. In 2017, Mats received the SIGCSE Award for Lifetime Service to the Computer Science Education Community with the motivation “For more than two decades of dedicated service to computing education research, building and supporting the international network of computing educators.”
This section includes the audio and transcript of the interview with Mats Daniels, conducted on June 29, 2011 in Darmstadt, Germany by Barbara Boucher Owens.
Audio of interview [1 hour 33 minutes]
PDF of interview transcript
[22 pages, 976 transcribed lines of text]
Other information about Mats Daniels
- Mats Daniels’ professional webpage at Uppsala University (in Swedish)
- Mats Daniels’ doctoral thesis (PDF document); Chapter 2 explains the 30-year story of Mats’ quest for his Ph.D.
- ACM Digital Library Author Profile Page for Mats Daniels
- DBLP publication list for Mats Daniels
- Google Scholar profile for Mats Daniels
Video clip: Taking 30 years to complete a doctorate
- About 2 minutes 5 seconds; PDF transcript of video clip is located further down under the video
- This video clip is also available on CEOHP’s YouTube channel