Michael Kölling interview: Overview
On a separate page: Selected quotes from this interview
Michael Kölling has had positions at Sydney University and Monash University in Australia, as well as at the University of Southern Denmark. Originally from Bremen, Germany, he is a key member of the team that developed the BlueJ and Greenfoot Java learning environments.
Michael received the 2013 ACM SIGCSE award for Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education, with the citation, “for the development of novel programming teaching tools, teaching approaches and teaching material”. In 2020, Michael and his co-author John Rosenberg received the first SIGCSE Test of Time Award for their 1996 paper, “An object-oriented program development environment for the first programming course” (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/236452.236514).
At the time of this interview, Michael Kölling was a professor and software developer with the School of Computing at the University of Kent, UK.
This section includes the audio and transcript of the interview with Michael Kölling, conducted on March 8, 2013, in Denver Colorado, USA by Barbara Boucher Owens.
Audio of interview [80 minutes]
PDF interview transcript
[21 pages, 1064 transcribed lines of text]
Other information about Michael Kölling
- ACM Digital Library Author Profile Page for Michael Kölling
- DBLP publication list for Michael Kölling
- Google Scholar profile for Michael Kölling
- Wikipedia article about Michael Kölling
Video clip: One can do computer science anywhere in the world
- About 2 minutes 30 seconds; PDF transcript of video clip is located further down under the video
- This video clip is also available on CEOHP’s YouTube channel
TRANSCRIPT MISSING — NEED TO ADD