Cloud examples: CEOHP interviews
On this page, we present investigations into using word and tag clouds to represent the themes and overall content of several CEOHP interviews.
As a whimsical approach to representing the meaning behind an interview, we explored the use of word clouds and tag clouds to represent the themes in a few of the CEOHP interviews. For each interview, we considered two versions of the transcript:
- Full transcript (no pre-processing)
- The cloud is based on the full content of the transcript, with no manipulation.
- In the Wordle tool settings, we selected the option to “remove common English words”.
- Themed version of the transcript, where we did simple pre-processing to help us better represent the key concepts in the interview:
- We forced phrases such as “computer science” to stick together rather than appearing as individual words.
- We removed trivial words that represent habits of speech (“Well”, “Yeah”)
- We removed inconsequential verbs/adjectives/adverbs.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTE: The word clouds produced by Wordle are visual representations. For individuals who use a screen reader such as JAWS due to no or low vision will not benefit from the information. However, the tag cloud representation provides an accessible alternative (which is also informative and useful for individuals who are able to view graphics).